filemagic provides a Python API for libmagic, the library behind Unix file command. It enables the Python developer to easilty test for file types from the extensive identification library that is shipped with libmagic.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
—Arthur C. Clark, 1961
- Simple, Python API.
- Identifies named files or strings.
- Return a textual description, mime type or mime encoding.
- Provide custom magic files to customize file detection.
- Support for both Python2 and Python3.
- Support for both CPython and PyPy.